- How many Cranio Surgeries have they performed?
- What was the success rate?
- Can references be provided with contact details
of past patients?
- What is the preferred age for surgery?
- What will the approximate length of surgery be?
- Will the child need more than one operation?
- What will happen in the surgery, please
provide details – this is so you have a better
understanding of the procedure
- What is the expected recovery time post surgery?
- What will the length of the hospital stay be,
inclusive of ICU?
- What will be used on your child’s head - staples
or absorbable stitches?
- How many units of blood will be needed for the
blood transfusion and will it be Adults Units?
- What type of incision will be made? (straight/zig-zag)
- Will they shave the childs head or not?
- What will the frequency of follow-up visits be?
- Does the doctor recommend that you go for
- What will the potential deformities, problems or
areas of concern be should you elect to not go
through with the surgery?
- What other specialists does the doctor recommend
that you consultant with (Ophthalmologists,
Pediatric Neurologist etc.)
- When is surgery set for?
- Will you be allowed to stay with the baby at
the hospital, will you have access to your
child 24 hours per day?
- Are you allowed to gain private donors for the
blood donation and what is the risk thereof?
- How long can my baby not eat or drink for prior
- How soon after surgery will I be able to see my
- What consent forms do I need to sign for surgery
and the hospital stay?
- Are they available to read in advance?
- If I am breastfeeding, will the hospital have a
breast pump available?
- Does the hospital have any policies regarding
nursing while in ICU?
- What do I need to watch out for following the
surgery? Any special precautions that I need to
- What should I bring to the hospital for my baby?